I believe that the moments you live depend on the people you share them with. I believe that being with someone you love can make that moment a hundred times better, and that you will have a beautiful memory forever engraved on your mind.
I have shared a lot of great moments with friends and family that I will love to share with you:
Shabbat Dinner: we used to go to my grandmother’s house very Friday for Shabbat. My uncle and my cousin were the ones who said the Kidush, which is the prayer for the wine. There is this part that has a different melody, and since I can remember, we all sang that part together. Now, every Shabbat dinner I go to, I remember the Kidush at my grandma’s, and I just smile.
Movie Days/Nights: my friends and I used to get together to watch movies and eat junk food. Since we finished high school and we are in different areas, we are no longer able to do our movie marathons, but the inside jokes and memories we have are beautiful.
Carousels: my grandma came with us to many of our trips. When we traveled she came along with us. She was always my roommate; we shared hotel rooms and even beds. When we went to San Fransisco, we went to Fisherman’s Warf. There was this enormous carousel, and my grandma and I decided to take a ride. After that, we tried to ride carousels on every trip. Now, every time I see one, my heart melts. I can help to smile to that memory.
Coffee: my dad bought a Nespresso coffee maker two years ago. Since then, every afternoon we are together we drink coffee and eat cookies or cake. We talk and share while we see the beautiful mountain that we have as a view. Coffee breaks with my family make me happy.
Malls: I hope not to sound superficial or shallow, but going to a mall with my mom makes me happy. No, not because she buys me things, but because we share. We eat ice cream and enter random shops and just have fun. I don’t go crazy on shopping unless we schedule a day for shopping. We just walk around, try things and be together. Today I wasn’t feeling very well, and she needed to buy one thing at the mall. When she came back she told me she missed me there, she wanted to share with me and walk around together.
Movie Premieres: or at least premiere on DVD. My big brother Eduardo and I used to watch movies in his room with some typical chips from our country. A bag each, and a good new movie that we just rented.
The City: this year I spent some alone time with my big brother Bernardo. We walked around the city, ate good food and just enjoyed quality time together.
Quincy Market: where I officially met my boyfriend. We exchange numbers and talked for a while. We became best friends and now boyfriend/girlfriend. I smile everytime I walked pass Quincy Market.
Little things make me happy. The people that are behind them is what makes them big moments of happiness.
I love Orly's short memoirs and frank honesty, as in her post You Don't Have to Try about women's beauty culture. She writes over at Coffee Beans and High Heels and is taking a gap year between high school graduation and college. She also has wonderful advice pieces especially in organizing your life.
If you'd like to join The Happiness Project, feel free to fill out this form and look for your post in the upcoming weeks!
