My Favorite Things


This weekend I managed to get out of bed long enough to attend the Sound of Music Sing-A-Long at the Hollywood Bowl. If there's one reason I came to university in Los Angeles, it's the ability to attend things like that. This summer I performed at the bowl with the band, but it was a completely different experience seating in an audience of 17,000 watching the Sound of Music on the biggest screen and singing along to every single song. We booed the bad guys - like the Baroness - and we cheered on Maria, Captain Von Trapp and their gang all the way through the film. I might have almost cried at a few points as well. Prior to the show, we picnicked and watched the costume contest, which we will be participating in next year, and afterwards I fell asleep on the metro on the way home.


During Edelweiss, especially during the reprise, everyone lifted up their phones and swayed along with the song. And when Captain Von Trapp got all choked up, I lost it. 


One song in particular holds a special place in my heart. When we were little my Mom would sing "My Favorite Things" to us when we were down. In honor of such a wonderful night, and because I'm still a bit down with this plague, here are a few of my favorite things....
  1. Big T-Shirts
  2. Going to the fridge for the first time after coming back from the grocery store
  3. Snuggling under a comforter on a really cold night
  4. Cats
  5. A good conservation with someone special
  6. Cancelled class
  7. Autumn days in Colorado
  8. Running to meet someone in the airport
  9. Books
  10. Getting the perfect blend of milk and sugar in my tea
I'm so surprised Rogers and Hammerstein didn't use any of these things in their song, but they did brighten up my day thinking about them. What are your favorite things? Would you be able to put them in a song?

post signature