Since
last April I’ve been doing a monthly post about music and my favorite songs of
the month. The twist, though, has been that I took my favorites from that month
in 2012, not 2013. It was
interesting to see what I was listening to during the end of my high school
career and the beginning of college life. To hear the songs that defined that
period of my time. Some staples included Taylor Swift (as evidenced in this entire post about her), Ed Sheeran, One Direction, and
some songs that spanned months – Ships in
the Night, Angel with a Shotgun, A Drop in the Ocean. Torn.
But
now it’s a new year and that calls for some new monthly postings! It’s the year
of moving onward so
I’m going to look at the songs that will grace my monthly playlist at the
beginning of each month. The ones that will hopefully capture that month in
positivity, grace and dancing in the living room.
This
month we see no new additions to the list yet, but there were some latecomers
to December that will be a part of the New Year:
Let it Go – Idina Menzel (Frozen). Much like her work on Wicked (specifically Defying Gravity), powerful and moving
Say Something – A Great Big World. First heard this rendition
on the X-factor from Alex and Sierra and fell in love with the haunting melody
and piano part. Proud to say that I convinced the brother to learn to play it
on the ukelele!
The Way,
Tattooed Heart – Ariana Grande. A newer one in the music
industry. I saw her performance on an awards show and was floored at her
accuracy and power. The catchy melodies don’t hurt either.
Your Bones – Of Monsters and Men. A suggestion from Megan, I think. Nice background
music whilst I’m “working” – or scrolling Tumblr...
I See Fire – Ed Sheeran (The Hobbit). Ed continues to impress in
this song that builds and fades as Give
Me Love does. Wonderful harmonies and acoustic parts.
Cannonball – Little Mix. A very late re-addition. I felt the need from some girl group power.
also Cannonball by Lea Michele is stellar!
What
songs are following you into the new year and propelling you onward?
E