Spring Break 3 // Small Town Traditions //

Last Thursday the family and I took a trip back east to Annapolis, Maryland to visit the Naval Academy and my Aunt. We just so happened to be visiting the town during the spring equinox, or as it is know in the sailing community the "Sock-Burning Day".

Annapolis, Maryland is the sailing capital of the east coast. The town is spotted with pubs and cafes where sailors of all ages have gathered for centuries really. On the spring equinox, everyone gathers together for a party and a bonfire. The twist is, though, that one takes one's socks off and burns them. Then one isn't allowed to wear socks until the autumn equinox because it's summer and there's no need for them. Now tell me that isn't such a wonderful tradition! If there's one thing that the East Coast does have over the West Coast it's the strange traditions that come from being populated for centuries.

The town itself felt so quaint after the sprawling metropolis of Los Angeles. The houses are so close together, and the bay felt present wherever you went. It was just lovely to be so close to the water, and to breathe in (relatively) clean air. It even dared to rain on us while we were there.

















Pussywillow!


When I was younger, I always dreamed about heading east for college. And though I ended up about as far west as I could get, I never gave up the dream of spending time back there. Visiting Annapolis gave me a taste of that history again, and regardless of if the brother ends up at school there, I'll be sure to be back.

E