Do We Have a Replacement?

If you've been around a while, you'll know of my casual obsession with One Direction. An obsession explained, but probably not acceptable at my age. But it's okay, because One Direction is not that relevant in my life anymore. Did you know they're releasing a new music video tomorrow? I didn't until I saw a post about it while scrolling through Tumblr.


Regardless, I've been filling that hole in my life with lots of new music which you've been seeing in my monthly music updates. Sometimes it's been this boy band from Australia:


They've got a bit more of the rock sound than One Direction, and their lyrics aren't so vanilla. It's got some nice guitar riffs and some hard core drums. The members actually play instruments (not that Niall doesn't sometimes. I don't want to offend any Directioners). But much like most rock songs it's a pretty constant tempo and dynamic. The just feel a bit more edgy than 1D, but the fact that they're younger and they act like young children doesn't exactly make them "mature adult" material.

I've also just discovered The Vamps. Another young boybandesque group from Great Britain. This group actually has a lead singer, though, as well as specialists on guitar, bass and drums. So they form one nice cohesive band much like 5SOS with a bit more of a laid back feel:


They have a bit of a Mumford and Sons feeling in their guitars. But the catch is that they are also quite young. One of their videos is them literally cleaning up after a party before the 'rents come home.

You're hearing this from me right now though: These two groups are the next "One Direction". Expect them to be the main acts in the next few years as they begin to make One Direction look old. As they begin to make me look old.

Tell me what you think of their music? Are you a fan of the "soft rock" "boyband" music?
post signature


Darn it! After writing this, I have the urge to 1D binge.