As part of the terribly strenuous (but not even close) duties of being the "official hostesses of USC", the USC Helenes get to help host the Scripter Awards at Doheny Library. With nominees like 12 Years a Slave, Philomena, and The Spectacular Now, the Scripter Awards honor screenwriters who've adapted books into screenplays. USC also handily partners the ceremony with a silent auction to raise funds for the USC Libraries (and specifically the renovation of the most-used library on campus this year).
Never have I been to a more swanky, fancy event. I snapped a few photos between escorting everyone along the red carpet, bringing down boxes and boxes of goodie bags, sneaking looks at the "talent", and ordering a shirley temple from the bar.
![]() |
| Whoever knew a library could get all dressed up? |
![]() |
Someday my name will be on a name tag like that.![]() |
![]() |
| A red carpet, and a "step and repeat" |
| Pretending we're famous (in a borrowed dress, cardigan and panty hoes). |
It was a wonderful evening with my starstruck moment coming at the arrival of Steve Coogan (the screenwriter and actor in Philomena). At one point during the dinner as we were snapping the above shot, he even stepped out alone for a cigarette! I was in the presence of a screenwriter genius, and I proceeded to ignore him.
The highlight of the night, though, was teaching the official red carpet photographer how to zoom on an iphone camera. For one wee moment, I felt like "the talent".
Happy weekend all!
E




