I'm in the midst of finals right now. Those cruddy little exams and papers to sum up the semester. Don't get me wrong - finals are difficult, challenging and time consuming, but for me they have never been an insurmountable task. I always knew that I just needed to review specific concepts and specific chapters to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. I always understood, grasped every concept presented to me.
Until this year. For the first time I feel as if I am faced with an impassable mountain of concepts. I'm scared to even start because of the overwhelming amount of things I just don't know. I'm sitting here two days before the final at the point of tears trying to understand the "Method of Moments" and "Hypothesis Testing". There're five tabs opened on my computer with different YouTube tutorials and pages of help.
I now realize that I've reached a new stage in my education. I've reached the point where information doesn't come quite so easily anymore. It's going to take more than seeing an equation to know how to use it. I have to read, and reread, and reread the information, and then do five or six problems before I slightly grasp a concept.
If you're in the same boat as me, I've come upon some advice over the course of this semester on
what to do when many of your sentences about a class are "I Literally Don't Know"
- Try to pay attention in class. But actually, unless the teacher is a total disgrace, in which case don't even show up to class you can use your time better outside the classroom
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. For me especially, asking my specific questions instead of passively listening to others' questions helps me get the information I need. I find that the best way to do this is in one-on-one's, not full classroom settings. And frankly, I didn't take full advantage of that during this semester...
- Don't get behind on homeworks. Sure, I got stuck on about half of my homework problems, so I just stopped doing them. Now I'm faced with one more homework assignment and the prospect of studying as well...gurgh. Just try all the problems when they're assigned, and NEVER, EVER put the hard class on the back burner! Stay on top of it during the semester and perhaps the end won't be so bad.
- Pick up the textbook and read it. You'd be surprised, but it actually helps (sometimes...)!
- Take it chunk by chunk. As I was sitting and looking at the enormity of concepts I must cover before this final, I was overwhelmed. But my dad kindly and earnestly reminded me that it takes more than one day, one sitting, to learn all the material. He used a marching band analogy (to all you band geeks out there) - "one doesn't learn one's show all in one day, one learns it in pieces".
- Focus on the parts that might actually be relevant in future classes and future jobs. If there's an obscure section that you brain can literally not process, then skip it.
- This class will end regardless of what you do or don't do. Don't stress it too much.
- If everyone fails, then everyone succeeds. If no one understands the material, then all you have to do is partially understand it and your grade is set!
Happy Studying All! I'll be struggling right beside you.
And if you're not studying, then Happy Holidays!
E