I fell in love with you, Paris, on the first day. I think it had to do with the sunny blue skies. Or our first time eating pastries and coffee for breakfast. Or perhaps it was the four hour walking tour we embarked on with WeGo walking tours. Our knowledge of Paris was basic at best...the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, so as I was planning our Parisian adventure I took the advice of a friend and booked a free walking tour with the best tour company in the business (according to TripAdvisor).
I fell in love with you as we meandered our way through your streets with Paul and the "family". We began at the Notre Dame where we found the center of France - the place where they measure all distances from. If you spin on the marker, it is said that you'll find the love of your life in Paris.
You're full of the most grandiose buildings, and we seemed to pass almost all of them as Paul filled us in on the most illustrious French past. Paul was the most energetic, most full-of-knowledge tour guide I've ever experienced. He made me fall in love with you, Paris. How a French defeat was always actually a victory (i.e. the Romans conquer Paris and proceed to build the Parisians a city). We crossed the Seine multiple times - learning about the the "Locks of Love " bridge is actually getting too heavy, and how this building below houses the "Immortals" (i.e. the linguists who dictate the strangely pure French language).
How the most beautiful of buildings are nestled in the heart of the city court. How half of Paris is actually beneath the street in yet unseen excavations. How, yes, there is a secret entrance to the Louvre, and to most all the museums -- you'll have to do the tour to find it, but I guarantee it works! We worked our way down the Champs-Elysees where we saw the "mini-arc" Napoleon built for his troops (but really for himself).
We ended our tour at arguably the most recognizable site in Paris - the Eiffel Tower - before the group dispersed to explore the City of Love. Over the next few days I'll document some Parisian highlights, including food, tourist-y activities, transportation, and where to stay. Because Paris, you were lovely (even if you weren't quite my cup of tea).
But my very first recommendation is to take a walking tour to get the lay of the land and lots of thoughts and tips from a Parisian native. And my second piece of advice: wear solid walking shoes, you will need them.
Price: Free! (but feel free to give a tip at the end - he deserves it!)
How the most beautiful of buildings are nestled in the heart of the city court. How half of Paris is actually beneath the street in yet unseen excavations. How, yes, there is a secret entrance to the Louvre, and to most all the museums -- you'll have to do the tour to find it, but I guarantee it works! We worked our way down the Champs-Elysees where we saw the "mini-arc" Napoleon built for his troops (but really for himself).
We ended our tour at arguably the most recognizable site in Paris - the Eiffel Tower - before the group dispersed to explore the City of Love. Over the next few days I'll document some Parisian highlights, including food, tourist-y activities, transportation, and where to stay. Because Paris, you were lovely (even if you weren't quite my cup of tea).
But my very first recommendation is to take a walking tour to get the lay of the land and lots of thoughts and tips from a Parisian native. And my second piece of advice: wear solid walking shoes, you will need them.
Price: Free! (but feel free to give a tip at the end - he deserves it!)







