England | A Day at the Races


Sometimes going to my home university has its perks even abroad. Like the other day when we got to attend and bet at the Ascot races. It was even on Valentine's day, as if school knew I wouldn't have any other plans for the day. I took the train up in the morning and had one of the worst train experiences (I think due to a rugby game?) where I got stuck at Clapham Junction for an hour. Next time this girl will whip out her American-ness and will not be so polite to push her way onto the train regardless of how busy it actually is.



The Ascot racecourse is basically just a big grandstand with a lot of places to eat and drink. In the front is the track where they show the horses before the race, and in the back is the crazy big course where you can't even see the horses on the other end. About every 30 minutes a group of 5 horses take the massive track and run two laps. No one pays attention until the final stretch where they root for the horse they bet on.





I lost every bet, nbd. But the atmosphere was so relaxed and I could see myself spending an entire day there just chatting with friends and (occasionally) betting. I could also see myself losing hundreds of pounds there on a whim. Be careful friends, be careful. And don't bet on the horse with the best name. Not an effective strategy.


Entry to the races is free, and for an extra 20 pounds you can sit a bit higher up for a better view. But everyone is allowed to bet and collect and sit/stand anywhere for the races. If you're in England for more than a few days, I would highly suggest a trip to the races if only because it gives you an excuse to dress up for a bit.

post signature